Ananda Mukherjee , PhD
- Ph.D Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India
- M.Sc North Bengal University, Darjeeling, India
- B.Sc University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India
- Faculty Fellow (DBT-Ramalingaswami), Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India.
- Research Associate, Michigan State University, Grand Rapids, USA
- Post Doctoral Fellow, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, USA
- Ramalingaswami Re-entry Fellowship, DBT, India
- Senior Research Fellowship, CSIR, India
- Student Scholarship (in M.Sc. Biotechnology), DBT,India
- Society for the Study of Reproduction
- DNA Society of India
Broadly, research interest of my laboratory is to understand genomic instability and DNA repair defects in the context of tumor initiation, development, and therapy. Everyday we are exposed to copious amount of external and internal agents that cause different types of damage to our DNA (≈70,000lesions/cell/day). Several well-established DNA repair and damage tolerance pathways can fix most of these, correctly. If remain unrepaired, either cells die or accumulate mutations that can cause cancer. Therefore, precise DNA repair mechanism is a tumor suppressor process, and responsible for the maintenance of our genomic integrity. Using modern biochemical, and genetic engineering tool and techniques, we are addressing,
Question 1. How commonly mutated tumor suppressor PTEN modulates
DNA damage response and induces genomic instability in cancers?
Question 2. Do cancers with higher rate of genomic instability depend
on tumor suppressor PTEN for their therapeutic outcome?
Question 3. Do secretory vesicles from cancer
cells modulate DNA damage response to their neighbor?
Figure: Genomic instability was induced by genotoxic stress in a HeLa cell. Due to mitotic failure cell accumulates
multiple nuclei (blue). Actin filaments (red) are showing the cellular morphology.
DBT-Ramalingaswami re-entry fellowship (2018-2023)
- Majumder A, Syed KM, Mukherjee A, Babu M, Azeez JM, Sreeja S, Harikumar KB, Pillai MR, Dutta D. Enhanced expression of Histone chaperone APLF associate with breast cancer. Mol Cancer. 2018; 17:76. doi: 10.1186/s12943-018-0826-9.
- Syed KM*, Joseph S*, Mukherjee A, Majumder A, Teixeira JM, Dutta D, Pillai MR. Histone chaperone APLF regulates induction of pluripotency in murine fibroblasts. J Cell Sci. 2016; 129:4576-4591. *authors contributed equally.
- Vuono EA, Mukherjee A, Vierra DA, Adroved MM, Hodson C, Deans AJ, Howlett NG. The PTEN phosphatase functions cooperatively with the Fanconi anemia proteins in DNA crosslink repair. Sci Rep. 2016; 6:36439.doi: 10.1038/srep36439.
- Misra S, Mukherjee A, Karmakar P. Phosphorylation of PTEN at STT motif is associated with DNA damage response. Mutat Res. 2014; 770:112-19.
- Laha D, Pramanik A, Maity J, Mukherjee A, Pramanik P, Laskar A, Karmakar P. Interplay between autophagy and apoptosis mediated by copper oxide nanoparticles in human breast cancer cells MCF7. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014; 1840:1-9.
- Mukherjee A, Misra S, Howlett NG, Karmakar P. Multinucleation regulated by the Akt/PTEN signaling pathway is a survival strategy for HepG2 cells. Mutat Res. 2013; 755:135-40.
- Mukherjee A, Karmakar P. Attenuation of PTEN perturbs genomic stability via activation of Akt and down-regulation of Rad51 in human embryonic kidney cells. Mol Carcinog. 2013; 52:611-18.
- Saha B, Mukherjee A, Samanta S, Paul S, Bhattacharya D, Santra CR, Karmakar P. A novel Cu(II)–mal–picoline complex induces mitotic catastrophe mediated by deacetylation of histones and α-tubulin leading to apoptosis in human cell lines. Med Chem Commun. 2012; 3:1393-1405.
- Bhattacharya D, Samanta S, Mukherjee A, Santra CR, Ghosh AN, Niyogi SK, Karmakar P. Antibacterial activities of polyethylene glycol, tween 80 and sodium dodecyl sulphate coated silver nanoparticles in normal and multi-drug resistant bacteria. J Nanosci Nanotechnol. 2012; 12:2513-21.
- Bhattacharya D, Saha B,Mukherjee A , Santra CR, Karmakar P. Gold nanoparticles conjugated antibiotics: stability and functional evaluation. Nanosci Nanotech. 2012; 2:14-21.
- Mukherjee A, Samanta S, Karmakar P. Inactivation of PTEN is responsible for the survival of Hep G2 cells in response to etoposide-induced damage. Mutat Res. 2011; 715:42-51.
- Saha B*, Mukherjee A*, Samanta S, Saha P, Ghosh AK, Santra CR, Karmakar P. Caffeine augments Alprazolam induced cytotoxicity in human cell lines. Toxicol In Vitro. 2009; 23:1100-9. *authors contributed equally.
- Saha B, Mukherjee A, Santra CR, Chattopadhyay A, Ghosh AN, Choudhuri U, Karmakar P. Alprazolam intercalates into DNA. J Biomol Struct Dyn. 2009; 26:421-9.
- Saha B*, Bhattacharya J*, Mukherjee A, Ghosh AK, Santra CR, Dasgupta AK, Karmakar P. In vitro structural and functional evaluation of gold nanoparticles conjugated antibiotics. Nanoscale Res Lett. 2007; 2:614-22. *authors contributed equally.
- Maitra S*, Saha B*, Santra CR, Mukherjee A, Goswami S, Chanda PK, Karmakar P. Alprazolam induced conformational change in hemoglobin. Int J Biol Macromol. 2007; 41:23-9. *authors contributed equally.