Why a Ph.D. from RGCB?
RGCB prepares individuals who have a deep and genuine interest in discovery science to shape the translation of biotechnology through academic research towards applications for a knowledge economy, business development and science of tomorrow. RGCB in 2014 will work out of three campuses, the present one focusing on discovery science, a second one for innovation and the third - a biotech park in Kochi focusing on translation and partnership with industry. This is the only institute of its kind in the country. Previous RGCB PhD's have all done impressive work and received excellent placements ( details can be viewed here ). Guided by an expert faculty, a rigorous fundamental science course work and a host of innovative academic programs, the RGCB PhD program is made even richer by its place in Thiruvananthapuram, capital of "Gods own country".
Admission Procedure for PhD Admission-January 2017
Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology (RGCB) invites application for admission to the PhD program (January 2017 session) in various domains of disease biology. Details of admission are as follows
- Candidates with a post-graduate degree in Life/Chemical/Agricultural/Environmental/ Veterinary/Pharmaceutical/Medical Sciences;or with an MCI certified MBBS degree are eligible to apply.
- Only candidates who have completed their qualifying degree in all respects will be considered.
- Applicants with UGC/CSIR/ICMR/DBT/DST-INSPIRE/KSCSTE fellowships must have a first class in their qualifying examination.
- Other applicants, who do not have any fellowships, should have a minimum of 70% marks (CGPA - 7.0 in 10 scale) for the qualifying degree
- SC/ST candidates should have a minimum of 55% marks (CGPA-5.5) for their qualifying degree.
- A limited number of institute stipends will be available for those selected candidates without a research fellowship. This conditional financial support will be a subsistence allowance for an initial period of two-years during which they will be strongly encouraged to seek their own fellowships from external agencies so that the PhD program continues uninterrupted.
- All eligible candidates, irrespective of their fellowship status, will have to appear for a qualifying entrance test which will be conducted at RGCB for short listing candidates for the selection interview.
- Results of the qualifying test will be announced within one hour and selection interview for shortlisted candidates will begin on the same day.
- Candidates selected at the interview must successfully complete RGCB's PhD coursework for 4-6 months and will then be allowed to choose their mentor. Final allotment will be decided on mutual acceptance by student and mentor.
- Upper age limit is 28 years as on January 30, 2017. Age limit will be relaxed for SC/ST candidates as per Government of India regulations.
RGCB is currently affiliated to the University of Kerala, Manipal University, Mahatma Gandhi University and Kerala University of Health Sciences (KUHS). Registration of the selected candidates will be as per the guidelines issued by these Universities for the award of PhD degrees.
No TA/ DA will be provided.
To get the application form click here. To see the manual describing the detailed admission procedures and conditions for availing fellowships as well as all other details of the RGCB PhD program click here.
Applications can be submitted by E-mail either as a scanned copy to email@example.com or by post to Director, Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology, Thiruvananthapuram 695014, Kerala State, India. Last date for receiving application form is December 31st 2016. In case of online submitted applications, the originals should be submitted at the time of interview.