- 2009 Ph.D (SreeChitraThirunal Institute for Medical Sciences & Technology, Thiruvananthapuram)
- 2003 M.Sc Biotechnology (Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam)
- 2000 B.Sc Zoology (University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram)
- 2014: Women Scientist fellowship from Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi, India
- 2012: Prof. N K Ganguly award for young scientists in cardiovascular clinical research
- 2010: Postdoctoral fellowship from Department of Biotechnology, New Delhi, India
- 2006: Senior Research Fellowship from CSIR
- 2003: Junior Research Fellowship from CSIR
- 2003: GATE percentile score 93.78
- 2003: First rank in M.Sc Biotechnology, Mahatma Gandhi University
- 2010-2012: Department of Biotechnology-Research Associate, Cardiovascular Disease Biology, Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology, Thiruvananthapuram.
Gut microbiota induced epigenetic alterations in type 2 diabetes mellitus
Gut microbiota is implicated as an epigenetic factor contributing to chronic diseases such as obesity and diabetes. These indigenous microbiota produce multiple low-molecular weight substances that can interact with different targets in the cells, tissue, organs and organism on the whole.The major focus of my study will be to delineate genetic and epigenetic mediated regulation of gene expression in pancreatic cells by metabolites of gut microbiota.
Molecular Pathogenesis of Varicose Veins
Varicosity of lower limb veins is a multifactorial and heritable disease. The genetic basis and molecular mechanisms underlying the pathogenesis and progression of varicose veins are obscure. The aim of this study is to elucidate the genetic factors associated with the pathogenesis of primary varicose veins.
- Sumi S, Kalpana SR, Aarcha Suresh, Binil Raj SS, Ravi Kumar B Lakkappa, Giridhar Kamalapurkar, Radhakrishnan N, Kartha CC. Arterialization and anomalous vein wall remodeling in varicose veins is associated with upregulated FoxC2-Dll4 pathway. Laboratory Investigation 2016. Jan 25. [Epub ahead of print]
- Vinitha A, Raman Kutty V, Vivekanand A, Reshmi G, Divya G, Sumi S, Santosh KR, Pratapachandran NS, Ajit Mullassari, Kartha CC, Surya Ramachandran. PPIA rs6850: A > G single-nucleotide polymorphism is associated with raised plasma cyclophilin A levels in patients with coronary artery disease. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 2016; 412:259-268.
- Sumi S, Surya Ramachandran, V Raman Kutty, Maulin M Patel, Anand TN, Ajit Mullassari, C C Kartha. Nonsynonymous T280M gene variant of CX3CR1 in South Indian population is associated with reduced risk for vascular disease in patients with diabetes mellitus. Current Research: Cardiology 2015; 2 (4): 188-192.
- Sumi S, Athira G, Radhakrishnan N, Kalpana SR, Divya Nair H, Jissa VT, Kartha CCForkhead box C2 promotervariant c.-512C>T is associated with increased susceptibility to chronic venous diseases.. PLOS One 2014; 9(3): e90682.
- Sumi Sand Radhakrishnan VVDiagnostic significance of humoral immune responses to recombinant antigens of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in patients with pleural tuberculosis..Journal of Clinical Laboratory Analysis. 2010; 24: 283-288.
- Sumi S, Madhavilatha GK, SathishMundayoor, Annamma Mathai and Radhakrishnan VVAssessment of four recombinant mycobacterial antigens as serodiagnostic markers for pulmonary tuberculosis.. Journal of Clinical Medicine and Research. 2009; 1(3): 35-40.
- Sumi S and RadhakrishnanVV.Evaluation of immunohistochemistry with a panel of antibodies against recombinant mycobacterial antigens for the diagnosis of tuberculous lymphadenitis. International Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences. 2009; 1 (5): 215-219.
- Anie Y, Sumi S, Varghese P, Madhavi LG, Sathish M, RadhakrishnanVV.Diagnostic approaches in patients with tuberculous pleural effusion. Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Diseases 2007; 59(4):389-394.
- Jegan Roy, Sumi S, K Sangeetha, T Emilia AbrahamChemical modification and immobilization of Papain..J ChemTechnolBiotechnol 2005; 80:184-188. Book Chapters
- Sumi S, Mathai A, Radhakrishnan VV. Dot-immunobinding assay. In Methods Molecular Biology. Eds.Kurien BT &Scofield RH. Towata, NJ: Humana Press Inc., 2009; 536:89-93.
- Mathai A, Sumi MG, Sumi S, Anie Y and Radhakrishnan VV. Immunology of neurotuberculosis. In Reviews in Neurology. Eds. Arun B Taly&Gagandeep Singh, Indian Academy of Neurology, 2009: 265-294.