Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology (RGCB) invites application for admission to the PhD program (April 2019 session) in various domains of disease biology. Details of admission are as follows:
- Candidates with a post-graduate degree in Life/ Chemical/ Agricultural/ Environmental/ Veterinary/ Pharmaceutical/ Medical Sciences or with an MCI certified MBBS degree are eligible to apply.
- Only candidates who have completed their qualifying degree in all respects will be considered.
- Applicants with UGC/CSIR/ICMR/DBT/DST-INSPIRE/KSCSTE/other fellowships must have a first class in their qualifying examination. These fellowships must be valid six months from the date of Advertisement.
- Applicants, who do not have any fellowship, should have a minimum of 70% mark (CGPA - 7.0) for the qualifying degree.
- SC/ST candidates should have a minimum of 55% marks (CGPA-5.5) for their qualifying degree.
- A limited number of institute stipends will be available for those selected candidates without a research fellowship. This conditional financial support will be a subsistence allowance for an initial period of two-years during which they will be strongly encouraged to seek their own fellowships from external agencies so that the PhD program continues uninterrupted.
- All eligible candidates, irrespective of their fellowship status, will have to appear for a qualifying entrance test which will be conducted at RGCB for short listing candidates for the selection interview.
- TA/DA or accommodation will not be provided for the PhD admission procedures.
- Results of the qualifying test will be announced within one hour and selection interview for shortlisted candidates will begin on the same day.
- Upper age limit is 28 years as on April 01, 2019. Age limit will be relaxed for SC/ST/Physically challenged candidates as per Government of India regulations.
- RGCB is currently affiliated to the University of Kerala, Manipal University, Mahatma Gandhi University and Kerala University of Health Sciences (KUHS). Registration of the selected candidates will be as per the guidelines issued by these Universities for the award of PhD degrees.
- All selected trainees will undergo the mandatory three-month course work from May 2019 to September 2019.
- Only candidates who pass the course work evaluation will be allowed to register for PhD. A maximum of two attempts only is permitted to pass the course work evaluation. Candidates who are not successful in both attempts will have to exit the PhD program.
- Final allotment to specific laboratories will be decided after mutual acceptance by both mentor and student.
Applications are to be submitted online. Application Fee (Rs. 1000) must be paid online using 'SB Collect' of State Bank of India through the URL given in the Payment Stage. SC/ST candidates are exempted from paying the processing fees. Last date for receiving completed applications is April 16, 2019. Incomplete applications or those without processing fees will be rejected. All applicants must bring relevant original certificates, mark sheets on the day of written test.
Applicants should note that the PhD program of RGCB is primarily designed to produce top class PhD holders who will drive future research programs in the country. Hence we would like to see our PhD holders continue in active research by proceeding for suitable postdoctoral assignments and then as research scientists or young entrepreneurs in biotechnology. RGCB does not view as its main mandate production of PhD holders primarily for teaching in colleges and universities, which may often need the PhD degree to be in a particular domain (such as Zoology, Chemistry or Botany). This may not be possible at RGCB where most degrees are granted in biotechnology or other interdisciplinary subjects. Candidates who wish to have career in teaching may find other universities or institutes where "subject-wise degrees" are given a better option. Applicants are advised to consider this aspect very carefully before applying for the PhD program.
|April 16, 2019 [Tuesday]||Last date for submission of online application.|
|April 23, 2019 [Tuesday]||Date to download Admit Card.|
|May 26, 2019 [Sunday]||Date of selection test.|
|May 26, 2019 [Sunday, 02:30 PM]||Announcement of results of selection test qualified for interview.|
|May 26, 2019 [Sunday, 03:00 PM]||Selection interviews.|
|May 27, 2019 [Monday, 09:00 AM Onwards]||Selection Interviews.|
|May 29, 2019 [Wednesday]||Announcement of the final list of candidates selected as RGCB PhD trainees.|
|June 10, 2019 [Monday]||Selected PhD trainees report to Office of Academic Affairs, RGCB.|
|June 10, 2019 [Monday]||Mandatory Course Work Begins.|
Enter your 'Application number' as well as the password to 'Login' and proceed to fill the PhD Admission 2019 application form.
Type in the email address you used when you created your account to receive assistance in recovering your password.